Exchanging your foreign driver's licence
With your old driving license you are only allowed to drive temporarily in Switzerland. Within a year, you must exchange it for a Swiss driver's license.
For the exchange of your driving license, you must bring the following documents personally to the Road Traffic Office (Strassenverkehrsamt).
- Application form. Can be downloaded from the
website of the responsible road traffic department.
- Valid old driver's license in original.
- Residence permit. If you have a credit card size,
the residence certificate is also required.
- Passport photo in color.
- Ophthalmological certificate
(confirmation in the application form).
Cost: around 20 francs.
- Medical certificate for driving license classes
C1, C, D, D1 or BPT or class 3.
For the procedure a fee is charged. Depending on
the canton you have to expect between
80 and 140 francs.