Exchanging your foreign driver's licence

With your old driving license you are only allowed to drive temporarily in Switzerland. Within a year, you must exchange it for a Swiss driver's license.

For the exchange of your driving license, you must bring the following documents personally to the Road Traffic Office (Strassenverkehrsamt).

  • Application form. Can be downloaded from the
    website of the responsible road traffic department.
  • Valid old driver's license in original.
  • Residence permit. If you have a credit card size,
    the residence certificate is also required.
  • Passport photo in color.
  • Ophthalmological certificate 
    (confirmation in the application form).
    Cost: around 20 francs.
  • Medical certificate for driving license classes
    C1, C, D, D1 or BPT or class 3.

For the procedure a fee is charged. Depending on 
the canton you have to expect between

80 and 140 francs.